User Access Fees
Please refer to our User Access Fees for further details on the services provided and associated costs for the NanoFab facilities.
- External clients (academic and non-academic):
A quote will be provided prior to beginning the work. Payment of the final invoice can be made via cheque or wire transfer.
- Internal clients (uOttawa professors, students, employees and visiting researchers):
A quote will be provided prior to beginning the work. A FOAP is required for payment of the final invoice via Journal Entry.
Requirements for User Access
External Clients (academic and non-academic)
For access to our facilities, please send an email to the CRPuO (firstname.lastname@example.org) with the following details:
- Company / Organization
- What type of service are you looking for?
- Hiring a lab technologist to complete the work
- Unlimited access to the NanoFab facilities and equipment, including tool training provided by a lab technologist.
Please note: If you choose option 2, there is a required Key Request Form and mandatory training to complete prior to accessing the facilities. Please refer to “Internal Clients” for further details.
- Please provide:
- a short description of the work you would like to complete
- the timeframe for when you are looking to complete your work
- the maximum amount of time you are willing to invest in the project
- if choosing service option 2:
- a list of the tools you are looking to use (a comprehensive list is provided on our web page)
- a short description of your previous experience using lab equipment
- Please attach a PDF to your email with more information if necessary
Internal Clients (uOttawa professors, students, employees and visiting researchers)
In order to gain access to our facilities, the following is required:
- Registration Form:
Please complete our online registration form. If more information is required, our lab technologists will communicate with you directly using the contact information provided on your form.
- Key Request Form:
All users must fill out a Key Request Form as well as provide a refundable cash deposit in order to obtain an access card for lab access. A copy of the form is obtainable from the CRPuO Administrative Office (ARC 350).
If you have already filled out a Key Request Form and have an access card, please let us know so that we can request a copy of your form from the relevant uOttawa department.
- NanoFab Facility Tour:
Once the registration form has been received, a tour of the NanoFab facilities will be scheduled at a mutually convenient time to go over Health, Safety & Risk Management procedures.
- Mandatory Training:
Proof of completion of the following is mandatory for all facility users before access to the facilities will be provided:
- Lab Safety Training (in-class):
Register for the appropriate training relevant to your research laboratory: Laboratory safety training or Dry Lab Risk Management training (under "Training and responsibilities").
Please note: Lab Safety Training is a 3-hour in-class training session. It is recommended that users register for this training as soon as possible.
- Workplace Hazardous Materials Information System (WHMIS) (on-line):
Select WHMIS - for laboratory workers, then complete the modules and on-line quiz.
- Worker Health and Safety Awareness (on-line):
Complete the modules and on-line quiz.
- Centre for Research in Photonics (CRPuO) Safety Manual:
Please read the manual and confirm your acceptance of the safety protocols by providing a signed copy of the final page of the manual to the CRPuO Administrative Assistant (email@example.com; ARC 350).
- Lab Safety Training (in-class):
- Tool Training:
Once the requirements above have been met, specific tool training will be provided by our highly qualified lab technologists at uOttawa and must be completed prior to using our facilities.
While each tools’ training requirements are unique, with some taking months to master, they all involve one-on-one sessions with staff members until you are authorized to use the tool independently. There is a sign-off procedure to access tools needed for a project.
We propose to train users as required, as equipment needs will be assessed on a project-basis. The fees associated with training have already been included in your equipment usage rates (for service options #7, 8 and 9 only).