Prof. Xiaoyi Bao, Professor in the Department of Physics and Canada Research Chair (T1) in Fibre Optics and Photonics, is one of the recipients of the 2021 Governor General’s Innovation Award, one of the University of Ottawa’s first laureates.
This annual award established in 2016 is intended to “recognize and celebrate exceptional Canadian individuals, teams and organizations for their excellence in innovation and their contributions to helping shape our future and positively impact our quality of life.” (Governor General’s Innovation Awards, 2021).
Prof. Bao is being recognized for her pivotal work in the field of fibre optics, in particular, her invention of Distributed Acoustic Sensor (DAS). DAS is a ground-breaking technology used in civil infrastructure to monitor the structural reliability of the construction of bridges, dams, pipelines, railways, and highways, helping to expand their lifespan to decrease their environmental footprint, and to ensure public safety. “DAS is made of optical fibres and instruments that can “hear” sounds emitted by invisible defects and cracks inside bridges, pipelines, and other critical structures — even before the defects and cracks cause damage that could endanger public safety and the environment. Since its invention in 2007, DAS has become the standard non-destructive detection tool in oil and gas and aerospace industries around the world” (Research, University of Ottawa, 2021).
Congratulations to Prof. Bao on this incredible achievement, and for all they are doing to help progress the field of optics and photonics in Canada, saving lives, and taking care of the environment.
- Read more about the 2021 Governor General’s Innovation Award
- Read more about Prof. Xiaoyi Bao’s award from the University of Ottawa’s Research Office
- Reach more about Prof. Xiayo Bao’s research
- Governor General’s Innovation Award (2021, May 10). Six recipients from across Canada recognized for their ground-breaking work and excellence in innovation. https://innovation.gg.ca/six-recipients-from-across-canada-recognized-for-their-ground-breaking-work-and-excellence-in-innovation/
- Research, University of Ottawa (2021, May 10). Visionary uOttawa researchers win Governor General’s Innovation Award. https://research.uottawa.ca/news/visionary-uottawa-researchers-win-governor-generals-innovation-award